VLC Media Player displays an annoying “Building Font Cache” dialog when you start playing a media file for the first time after a fresh install.
It does this to display subtitles and for other text rendering options.
Here’s how you can disable this dialog:
- Open Preferences from the Tools Menu in VLC Player or use the shortcut Ctrl + P.
- Select “All” under Show Settings on the left pane.
- Now expand Video entry and select Subtitles/OSD option under it.
- Now on the right pane, for “Text rendering module” choose “Dummy font rendering functions” and hit Save.
- Re-open VLC player try to play the file again. It won’t appear anymore.