Today Google simultaneously unveiled the latest version of Android – Gingerbread (version 2.3) and the developer phone based on it – Samsung Nexus S.
Android 2.3 features an updated user interface. The Android Developers’ page explains that “a simplified visual theme of colors against black brings vividness and contrast to the notification bar, menus, and other parts of the UI. Changes in menus and settings make it easier for the user to navigate and control the features of the system and device.”
Android 2.3 Gingerbread, comes with:
- Near Field Communications (NFC) Support
- User Interface enhancements “for simplicity and speed”
- Front-facing camera support
- One-touch word selection and copy/paste
- Support for WebM video playback
- Internet (VoIP/SIP) calling
- Enhancements for gaming
- Mixable audio effects
- Improved power management
You can read about the features in more detail here or download the official Android 2.3 manual from here.
Android 2.3 Gingerbread official video presentation: