Adobe has announced a new version of its PDF Reader: Adobe Reader X. Adobe Reader X features tightened security and a reduced user interface for the browser version. It will have a sandbox feature that will seal off the application from attacks intended to tamper with a computer’s registry or file system.
Along with Reader, Adobe has also updated its flagship software for creating PDFs, Adobe Acrobat. The new version will be known as Adobe Acrobat X.
Some of the new features announced for Adobe Reader are:
- View and interact with PDF files that contain an even wider variety of content types, including drawings, email messages, spreadsheets, videos, and other multimedia elements.
- Make notes and share your feedback with others by marking up PDF documents using the Sticky Notes and Highlighter tools.
- Choose reading mode to fit more content on the screen or two-up mode to view page spreads. Use keyboard shortcuts like print, zoom, and find within the browser.
- Take advantage of the added security of Protected Mode in Reader, which helps ensure safer viewing of PDF files.
- Directly access online services at Acrobat.com from within Reader X. Perform common tasks such as creating PDF files, securely sharing and storing documents, and screen-sharing.
- Expanded PDF access via mobile devices with free Adobe Reader for Android, Windows Phone 7 and Blackberry Tablet OS.
Reader X will be available for free download next month.
Acrobat Suite, Acrobat Pro and Standard versions can now be pre-ordered. Free shipping promotion for pre-orders ends on the 30th of November.