Yesterday Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer unveiled the next generation of Microsoft Office: Office 2013. The Home Premium edition was immediately made available for user testing, however, it was an online installer. If you’d rather prefer an offline installer, you can now get the standalone installer from Microsoft TechNet.
Like the web-based installer, offline installer is also available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The 32-bit version installer has a file size of 624.52 MB, and the 64-bit version is of 702.91 MB. If you’re going to install add-ons, Microsoft recommends the 32-bit version for compatibility reasons.
Unlike the web-based installer, there are certain limitations to the offline installer:
- You cannot install and run multiple versions of office simultaneously. That means if you have Office 2010 or Office 2007 installed, you’ll have to remove it before installing Office 2013.
- It also does not support the fast streaming feature.
If you can do with those, here are steps to get the installer:
- Head over to TechNet Evaluation Center, scroll down the page and click on the link that says “Download the .msi package now”.
- Sign in, fill up the form, and click on Continue.
- On the next page you will get your product key for Office 2013; save it!
- Then select the language you want, choose 32-bit or 64-bit version, and hit download.
Update: Previous direct download links are no longer working. Please use these links to download the latest version of Office 2013:
- Microsoft Office 2013 Professional
- Microsoft Office 2013 Home Student
- Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Business
Below are the direct download links, however, for the product key, you still need to sign up on Technet.
If you’re on a slow connection use a download manager to download. The link is resumable, so you don’t have to worry about download breaking.
Office 2013 System Requirements
- Computer and processor: 1 Ghz or greater x86/x64 Processor with SSE2 instruction set
- Memory: 1 GB RAM (32-bit) /2 GB RAM (64-bit)
- Hard disk: 3.5 GB free disk space
- Graphics: Graphics hardware acceleration requires DirectX 10 graphics card and 1024 x 576 resolution
- Operating System: Windows 7 or Windows 8