Here are five ways you can create a file that looks legitimate but is actually a dummy file. But why would you want to create a dummy file? Here are five reasons for that:
- Test hard drives – Detect bad sectors on your hard drive by filling up free space with a dummy file.
- Securely delete files – A deleted file can be recovered but by overwriting the free space with a dummy file will make it unrecoverable.
- Secure Flash Drive – Make your flash drive read only by filling up empty spaces and prevent virus infections.
- Test network speeds – While there are free utilities available to test network speeds, you can do so with a dummy file too.
- Dummy files can also help you escape a deadline you’ve got to prepare a report or finish your homework by putting the blame on your faulty computer.
Seedling Dummy File Creator
Dummy File Creator is a simple, portable application which can create files of any size filled with a hex byte value that you specify.
Download: Seedling Dummy File Creator
Dummy File Creator
In addition to single dummy file, Dummy File Creator can also create list of dummy files. Simply load your batch list, which includes the path of the file to be created, file name, pattern and size in a txt file. The app is available as an installer and portable version, and can also be run via command line.
More information about the app and a link to download can be found on the link below.
Download: Dummy File Creator
NOD32 Dummy File Creator Utility
This utility will create dummy files in a folder that you specify. You can set the file that you want it to create in the “DFC.ini,” which can be found in the app folder, and also set a file attribute to the dummy file before it’s created.
Download: NOD32 Dummy File Creator Utility
File Destructor is a web tool that lets you create dummy files of any type and size without having to install any additional app on your computer. Simply enter a file name and size, select an extension from the drop-down list and click on the button to download the file.
Note: You may download file of any size, but it may take a long time to download a large file. If you want a large dummy file, use any of the other mentioned ways in this post.
Visit: File Destructor
Instant Dummy File on Windows
If you don’t want to install any app nor do you have an internet access. Here’s a quick way to create a dummy file on Windows:
Launch Command Prompt and enter the following command:
fsutil file createnew C:\File\presentation.ppt 100000
This will create a file called presentation.ppt having a file size of 100,000 bytes.