TrayIt! is a software which save your Taskbar space for minimized windows. When any application is minimised with TrayIt! it creates a small icon in the System Tray. (System Tray area is located near the Clock).
It is particularly useful for background tasks you typically keep running on your PC all day long like your favorite E-mail client, Real Player, etc..
TrayIt! runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT/2000/XP and does not require any installation.
Simply create a new folder and place TrayIt!.exe and TrayIt!.dll there. When started, TrayIt! will show a dialog box with a short explanation how to use it. You may choose to load TrayIt! on system startup by selecting “Option” and checking “Load TrayIt! on StartUp” box.
You can temporarily put any window in the system tray by keeping down the button when minimizing the window.
To always keep window in the system tray when minimized, click with the RIGHT mouse button on the corresponding icon created in the tray in the previous step and check “Place in System Tray” in the popup menu.
Clicking with the right mouse button on the minimize icon will bring TrayIt! context menu for this window. Just check “Place in System Tray” in the popup menu to make window always go to the tray.
Please note that context menu will work only for the standard minimize icon and will not pop-up if the program use skins like MS Media player.
You can customize TrayIt! behavior by selecting the following options from the “Edit/Options” menu:
- Load TrayIt! on StartUp – creates a shortcut to the TrayIt! application in the user’s Startup folder
- Single click action – when turned off you need to double-ckick on icon in the System Tray to activate an application.
- Group similar tray icons for each application – TryIt will group similar windows displaying only one icon in the tray to access the group.
- Minimize when in Foreground, activate when in Background – whith this option turned on, Clicking on the System Tray icon will minimize associated window when only if it is in already in the foreground and put in the foreground otherwise.
Options for the window profile:
- Match pattern with the window title when creating a System Tray icon – when this option is activated you can specify a pattern that TrayIt will mach with an application window.
- TrayIt! looks for a substring in a window title that matches a pattern. TrayIt! applies patterns from left to right and stops when first match is found. Patterns are not case sensitive. Use ‘|’ to separate patterns, ‘*’ and ‘?’ wildcards are allowed in the pattern specification. ‘^’ as a first symbol inverts meaning of the pattern.
- Example: My Computer|Control Panel added to the explorer specification will create a System Tray icon only this two folders.
- Minimize on start – TrayIt! will minimize the selected window on start. The effect of this option is very similar to selecting “Run:Minimized” for the application shortcut. Please use it when the latest doesn’t work correctly.
- Handle SDI-type applications like MS Excel, PowerPoint or MS Project TrayIt! will correctly handle applications that have only one application window but create multiple tabs in the taskbar areacorrectly.
- If you start TrayIt! manually and would like to suppress the startup dialog box, just create a shortcut and run TrayIt! using /H switch.