WinRAR 4.0 final version has been released today, after going through 7 Beta versions.
Highlight of updates in WinRAR 4:
- Decompression is almost 30% faster than previous versions.
- Operation progress is shown in WinRAR icon on Windows 7 taskbar.
- Improved Unicode support, allowing smooth process of non-English file names.
- Improved support for ISO format
- Improved encryption
- If TAR, TAR.GZ or TAR.BZ2 archive contains symbolic or hard links and if destination file system is NTFS, WinRAR creates these links on unpacking of such archive.
- Stopped support for Windows 98, Windows Me and Windows NT.
WinRAR is a paid application and comes with a 40-day trial period, after which you can buy the application or continue using it for free, but with a startup nag.
WinRAR 4 is available for Windows, Mac and Linux.